Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Bittersweet Milestone

Today is exactly 100 days since shoulder surgery. So for the last 3 months ('plus a little'--which is very important to me) I have not been allowed to lift even the weight of my own arm. Personally I believe this is why I'm having muscle spasms, but of course the doc can't say that. Finally at my appointment today he gave me permission to lift something that is attached to me and I have to take everywhere anyway. Sounds silly. He even signed the physical therapy prescription for it! Woohoo, victory!!

...and then the bomb dropped. If the muscle spasms don't stop in a couple months he's going to go do surgery again and cut my biceps off from the top of the humerus. Yeah, not too funny. He didn't talk about reattaching it anywhere...just said he didn't do it initially because I'd still need it for 60 years or so. And now I don't?! My first reaction was "first you've got to get me to consent and that's not going to happen" Fortunately, I didn't tell him that because I can't live my whole life with these spasms and really don't want to be a jerk. However I think having surgery again and removing more stuff is nothing short of drastic. I think and hope that my muscles will be a little less spastic and cooperative now that they are actually allowed to do something. Maybe they're just bored. Sounds better to me.

1 Comments:

At June 23, 2008 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Tabitha said...

Well, I'm glad you are at you're 100 day mark. I don't like the sound of you having surgery again. Well, I'm at work so I got to get back.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home